From simple tote to stylish 2-in-1 bag in 3 easy steps.

Ah! Tote bags:
I've bought them for the silk screen print design, or because I like the band, or I got them as a goodie bag.
But to be honest: the design of a tote bag doesn't work for me on a practical level. The handles are too long to carry it in my hand without hitting the floor, and too short to wear it on my shoulder.

So I decided to improve my lovely royal blue Gabby Young And Other Animals - tote to a stylish 2-in-1 bag. It's both a purse AND a shoulder bag!

Now this was going to be a photo tutorial. But Miss Smarty Pants here deleted all the photo's which were made during the process.
So here's a descriptive tutorial =^x^=

Step 1: The handles.
Cut the handles in the middle. Fold both halves over each other and sew them together. This will provide a shorter and sturdier handle for your purse.

Step 2: The long sling.
Find a matching piece of fabric that will be strong enough.
You'll need 2 pieces of 120 cm x 15 cm.
Cut the tote open at the sides. Pin the matching fabric in the side of the tote (right side of the fabric towards each other). Allow a 2 cm seam while pinning. Now fold the seam twice before sewing together. Now you won't see the frilly edge of the fabric.
Sew one panel all the way to the top. Fold and press the end of the fabric into a point. Sew the point.
Repeat for side panel 2. Tie the panels together in a knot: there's your sling!

Step 3: The button.
Make a  button hole. Attach button. (I choose a Bakelite button that complemented the print.)

And.. tada!
It took me an afternoon to make this.
Admittedly most time was picking the fabric ;-)

If you are also a huge fan (like me) there's an opportunity to support Gabby Young And other Animals through Patreon:


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sewing project for knitters: an interchangeable needle case.

DIY ear cushions for headphone / Crochet pattern

Sew Along - Worlds End Drape Shirt - part 1